Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Alabama Shakes

Well drive me to Hades in a PT Cruiser! I just heard this new (to me) group called Alabama Shakes that is basically musical apoplexy. Holy smokes, just go to YouTube or your other favorite digital music source and push play and I swear it's like 10 megatons of TNT just exploded.  (NPR is currently hosting some good examples.) And you didn't turn up the volume. They did. This band is amped up like nothing I've heard in a long time. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like a car crash that sounds good.

The singer Brittany Howard has to be heard to be believed. She is not going to be satisfied until she's taken you to a different universe and left you stranded there with no way to get back. Man alive, she should be completely hoarse after singing the first twenty-five notes. How she gets through an entire performance, I do not understand.

It's amazing how, now and then, a new troupe comes along, and basically reinvents music. If you don't already know about them. Go check 'em out. Tell them their new friend Mike sent you.

Please share....

2 comments:

  1. We Alabamians are super proud of Brittany and Alabama Shakes. Wildly talented and I'm so glad to see how well-received they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They got a rave review on NPR, which is where I heard 'em. 'Bout blew me out of my car and out onto the highway.

      Delete