Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Tortured Response

Rectal rehydration? Really? I am of course referring to one of the euphemistic "harsh interrogation" techniques listed in the so-called "Torture Report" released by the Senate Intelligence Committee today.  CIA rebuttals have been all over media, whether lame-stream, social or anti-social, making the most astonishing arguments.  These techniques were "clearly defined."  Therefore they are not "torture."  Are you kidding me?  Shoving a device up someone's butt is clearly defined, so not torture. Well, the argument has been tortured anyway.

So our embassies, military, and other facilities are on high alert.  There are renewed calls from around the world for George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and other Bush administration officials to be prosecuted for war crimes.

I wonder how many Americans know how much Bush's and Cheney's travel outside the US has been limited by fear of arrest.  In 2011, Bush had to cancel a trip to Switzerland under just such a threat based on that country's signatory status to the convention against torture. Apart from that, the only trip outside the country he has hazarded was a post-earthquake trip to Haiti with Bill Clinton.  He has become our Pinochet.

It is not very original of me to call this program a travesty.  Before Bush, I never would have imagined that my country, my beloved America, would engage in such soul-destroying practices.  Call me naïve.  Many of you, I'm sure, will call me exactly that.

nom de Twitter: @unrefuted
Email: myirrefutableopinion@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment