Saturday, December 13, 2014

Squirrels in the Doohickey

Diane Holcomb
That's the name of a blog written by Ms. Diane Holcomb (subtitled "...and other profound observations of the absurd".) The title, she explains on her ABOUT page, is "a phrase the cable guy delivered after climbing up the telephone pole to determine why my television was losing channels."  Her ABOUT page is marvelous, by the way, and should be the first stop on your tour of her site.

Squirrels in the Doohickey becomes inner and outer metaphor for her blog's theme; whether the article look introspectively into her own squirrely sleep habits (THREE A.M. AWAKENINGS, and other insomnia related posts), confront the Bates Motel that is the peeping tom's mind (I HAD A VISIT FROM A PEEPING TOM), or the intrusions of the myriad dystopian particles that dope our otherwise pleasant world (MY TWO CENTS AIN'T GONNA LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD.)

Before proceeding any further, I hasten to emphasize that this post is not a review of Diane's blog. This piece is commentary and intended as a recommendation to my readers.  If I didn't like the blog, I wouldn't bother writing about it.

Diane's writing style is breezy, easy to read, and her word choice and phrasing are splendid, all the while speaking plain English. She has a punchy cadence too, in that she makes liberal use of one-sentence paragraphs, which is unusual in anywise except dialogue.

Do yourself a favor and follow the links to her blog that I have sprinkled herein. I believe you will find yourself taking her up on her offer to subscribe.  I did, because I am interested in hearing what she has to say next.

nom de Twitter: @unrefuted
Email: myirrefutableopinion@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment