Thursday, March 19, 2015

My New iFad

My new iFad came in the mail a few days ago - that is, my iPhone 6 Plus - and I have finally finished bumbling my way through transferring my data from the old iPhone 4. First of all, I had to have the hard drive rebuilt on my laptop, because of a recent death crash, so I had to download and reinstall iTunes.  After thirty minutes of following progress bars with intense interest, I tried to launch the application.  Not there! It didn't even show up in "recent downloads." Well, at least I could use my iPhone as a phone. But I was incensed, and pretty much resigned to a visit to the Apple store for help.

But don't call me a quitter. Next day, I decided to try again. After a parade of more progress bars, finally success! The first time I must have failed to "Accept" or "Agree" or say "Aye, Aye, Sir!" I backed up my iPhone 4 data. That is step one, no? That took quite some time, because I had a half decade of photos to archive.

With greater anticipation than pouring ketchup (catsup?), I plugged in my iFad. I selected "Restore Mike's iPhone." That's right isn't it? iTunes got busy. I wondered about the result, but then iTunes wanted to update the operating system. Already? I just got the dadgum thing. Then I must wait for iFad to restart. Do not turn off iFad.

Well, I had my photos and music, but not my apps. And why pray tell not? And also, not my Contacts. I reasoned that the latter would have to be retrieved from The iCloud. But it was late, I was tired, and decided to tackle that the Day After this breakthrough.

Next day, before proceeding to the Contacts problem, I decided to sync iFad with iTunes using a little manual cable connection performed by iMe. Sync apparently successful. Then what should suddenly appear? A prompt to log me into my iCloud! This development is the only convenient event to occur in the whole ordeal. And it knew who I was! All it wanted was my iTunes password!

And voila! Contacts appeared on iFad! You can tell from the liberal exclamatory punctuation that I was elated. Still, no apps were transferred to my new play toy.

I decided to just go to the App Store and download the apps I cared about - a lot of them news sources. Most of them took me to an iCloud icon. Oh! That's how it works. I downloaded several, and they were neatly filed in appropriately folders, with no extra administrative work required on my part, unlike the "old days."

Except for one. CNN mysteriously vanished. It was nowhere to be found on iFad by the usual user experience. But I discovered it would come up if I told my girlfriend Siri to "launch CNN." So Siri knows where it is. That secretive bunny boiler. So I have this zombie-like CNN app somewhere on my iFad I can't find. Spooky.

What else is lurking unknown on iFad? They are made in China after all. Maybe the ghost of Mao Tse-Tung is reading my blog. Okay. At least he could subscribe and leave comments.

Please share...


No comments:

Post a Comment